Thursday, 3 December 2009

Did U forget about Mary Helen?

Mary Helen's diary entries 26-32

September 1, 1900,
Dear Diary,
Last week we got a home girl. Her name is Viola. She is eleven years old and she has beautiful brown her. It is very messy, but it is still nice. She has a very tiny bag, old and raged, and for some reason she never wants me to look at it. Mysterious, but I don’t care. She seems friendly. I don’t know why we got here, because it’s not like we need anymore help because Ethel and Josephine are hard workers. When I saw Viola come to the door I almost said “Maids are not needed here.” But she is not a maid; she is almost like another person in the family. I’m assuming she has many exciting stories, being a home girl and all. I don’t think she’d care to tell me about it though. Perhaps I shall look in that bag…
Truly,
Mary Helen Lloyd

Later, the afternoon of September 1,
Dear Diary,
In her Bag I found many pictures of people. Her, Her Parents, and possibly some siblings. I bet her parents are dead, considering she’s a home girl. And I saw a picture of young Queen Victoria with her oldest daughter. I am so naughty! I stole the picture of the Queen. I don’t even know how she got it. I pasted it in my scrapbook. I feel so bad!! I’d apologies but then she’d find out and I would get in so much trouble! Oh, the worry!
I wonder if she’ll go to school.
Truly destined for trouble,
Mary Helen Lloyd

September 6, 1900,
Dear Diary,
Viola will go to school with me but for the next 2 weeks she won’t. I still hope she feels welcome. Why did I steal her picture? I haven’t slept for so long because I am filled with fear. Every time she asks me to come to her I think that she found out. Oh dear. I must go help Mother now. She seems ever so demanding. What is wrong?
Truly,
Mary Helen Lloyd

September 19, 1900,
Dear Diary,
Viola found out. “Come here please Mary Helen.” She asked. I came to her and she told me, this:
“Mary Helen, I am sorry but I looked at your Diary while Josephine and I were cleaning the room, and not knowing it was a private Diary, I opened it. By mistake, I read that you stole my picture. How could you! I just moved her from Brittan and after I told you not to go near my carpet bag you look inside it and steal! You Thief!”
I feel is if I just assaulted Queen Victoria. If it was mid evil times and she was the queen and I was a peasant, she would scream “Off with her head!” and that would be the end of me.
Truly,
Mary Helen Lloyd
September 20, 1900,
Dear Diary,
Viola is a mean, cruel, and unkind person! How I mistook her as being nice.
Viola went to school earlier than expected. She was nothing but a show off. She used to go to school back in England but it was much different. Everyone was paying attention to her, and only her. Even Anna. The only one friend I had at recess was me. Viola is so rude! I gave her back her photo of the Queen but she still did not forgive me. I said I was deeply regretful, but she did not say a word. Well, she did but it was just scolding me for stealing. She acts as if I’m ten years younger than her but a year only separates our age.
I don’t think she’s working out with our family. I thought she was friendly and gentle but she is cruel. I think that I figured out two things. One, the reason Mother and Father got here was probly the house felt empty with Lilly gone and everyone so quite they thought a new person would be much talk about. Second, I now why Mother is so demanding. With Lilly gone, she’s still grieving and feels weak. Poor William. He doesn’t even know what’s going on! Today he asked me “Where’s Lilly?” And I had no option but to tell him. He doesn’t understand. I wish Viola would disappear like magic. Today, Elsie went out with Viola and me to buy a few sweets and mother said that Elsie was allowed to buy three sweets and the general store. Well, Viola, being the boss told her that she was not allowed to buy anything at all. She started crying, and then asked, why Mommy had allowed her to buy three. Viola unkindly replied “I am in charge little one, aren’t I?”
How foolish she is! I told Mother the whole story and she was shocked. I wish she would leave since we don’t need her. At first, I felt bad for stealing Viola’s picture. But now, I think she greatly deserved it.
I overheard my parents talking about Viola. “She has to go,” my mother said. “She is nothing but a selfish fool.” I agree.
Truly upset,
Mary Helen Lloyd

October 1, 1900,
Dear Diary,
Gone! Viola is Gone! Mother and Father finally sent her to another home somewhere in Ottawa. I’m glad now. No more home girl for us!!!
Truly,
Mary Helen Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment