Saturday, 31 October 2009

Mary Helen's Diary Entries 7-11

December 4, 1899,
Dear Diary,
Snow! Today was the first snow fall of the year and it was so wonderful! I always love it. Something else new-New Year. It’s almost 1900, the New Century. I have never lived when the Century changed like this. Neither did my parents or anyone! I love the idea of the century changing. It feels like something great will happen!!!
Will there be new inventions? Will everything Change? Will it bring good luck? What if everything goes wrong? So many questions! I am feeling so joyful, and yet so confused. I hope that every thing will go perfect. I can tell the new century will bring change. But how?
Truly,
Mary Helen Lloyd.

December 19, 1899,
Dear Diary,
Today we put up the Christmas tree. It was quite amusing, but something feels different. I’m working on my speech about Queen Victoria. So far, I know that she is the longest Queen to serve England, she’s currently 79 years old (I am amazed at that) and she was asked to the throne when she was only 18! I am starting to like researching on Royalty and since we sing God Save the Queen every morning it’s much better to know who we’re singing to. Queen Victoria is so beautiful, and I can’t wait to learn more about her.
Truly,
Mary Helen Lloyd

December 24, 1899,
Dear Diary,
It’s very late tonight and but I cannot catch a single wink of sleep. Tomorrow is Christmas morning, and who can sleep when there are so many gifts with your name on them? But most of all, I cannot wait to spend so much fun times with my beloved family.
Since I cannot stop thinking about them, perhaps I shall discus my family.
First comes Leo. He’s 19. Then comes the twins-Marie and Ruth. They are 15.
Then comes Emma, and she’s 14. And then Harold, who’s 13. Then me, and I’m 10.
William is 8, and Lilly is 7. Elsie is 5 and Robert is 3. We are a big family. Anna only has a twin brother. Tomorrow will be the last Christmas in the 19th Century.
Merry Christmas and Hello New Century,
Mary Helen Lloyd


December 25, 1899,
Dear Diary,
Oh what joy!!!
My siblings and parents showered me in presents, as I did the same for them. I go a new lace gown with pink roses on the edges. It is beautiful. I got that from Leo. I got a purse to match from Marie and Ruth, and they spent hours of sewing on it. I got one of the best present from Emma. A New diary! I won’t use it until I finish you of course. I go a beautiful little doll from Harold, and William gave me a hair brush made of silver, Lilly gave me a book Little Women, and Elsie and Robert both gave me five dollars to buy whatever I want. Wow! That’s a lot of money. I had a wonderful Christmas, and the last Christmas in the 1800’s.
Truly yours,
Mary Helen Lloyd

Did ya like it?

1 comment:

  1. I love it I just love reading your work. Please keep it up I just can't wait for more love Grandma

    ReplyDelete